World’s Cheapest Full Mechanical Keyboard
A couple weeks back I had an insatiable itch to get my chubby fingers clickity-clacking on some cherry mx blue keys. But I’m really not down to drop a couple of hundred bucks or more for the current mainstream offering. So I’ve set out for a small project and ‘mod’ my 1st mechanical gaming keyboard with the following specs:
- TKL (no numpad)
- White Keycaps with clickity-clackity switches
- no LED backlight (specially NO sh***y rainbow unicorn multi-coloured lighting)
- either metallic red or blue WASD keys and different coloured win/command keys
The shopping list
- AULA OFFICIAL F2012 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard USB Wired Keyboard – White (Lazada Singapore | amazon.com)
- Metallic Blue QWER ASDF Direction 12 Keyset Keycaps (Lazada Singapore | amazon.com)
- Rubber Dampeners (Lazada Singapore | amazon.com)
I was able to procure everything in my shopping list from Lazada Singapore and was able to put everything together this week, below is the unboxing and review of the “World’s Cheapest Full Mechanical Keyboard” — enjoy:
- Appalling font choice for the keycaps, just no.
- On macOS, Ghosting occurs on the left side of the keyboard when multiple modifier keys are used along with any keys in the first and second row of letters within the first four columns. Doesn’t happen in Win10.
- Special characters positioned awkwardly on the keycaps.
- Non-detachable cord.
- Really inexpensive, cheaper than a PS4 controller
- The AULA blue switches (cherry mx blue clones) aren’t so bad. To be honest, being a mechanical keyboard virgin, I probably won’t notice the difference at this point of time. They’re very clicky, tactile, and so far reliable.
- Can fit custom keycaps designed for cherry mx switches. Customise to your heart’s content, the PBT keycap sets would most probably cost more than this keyboard.
- Did I already mention that it’s satisfyingly clicky?
- full compatibility with macOS
- It’s cheap, fuss-free and gets the job done.
- I would highly recommend this for peeps who are just about to transition to using a mechanical keyboard.
- I personally think that there’s no better full mechanical keyboard at this price point.
> Recent Posts
Cowabunga! (October 5, 2017) …was probably the last word in my mind as I struggle to express the unholy mix of sheer excitement and overwhelming horror while I ‘fly’ down across Skyranch Tagaytay’s zipline...
Be sincere Mean what you say, always follow through. Try not to pay lip service, the truth is often unpleasant but there’s no substitute for it. At the very least, be honest to yourself There will be times when it’ll be most logical or easiest for you to lie, be it to get out of trouble, cope from a failure or maybe cover up a mistake...
World’s Cheapest Full Mechanical Keyboard A couple weeks back I had an insatiable itch to get my chubby fingers clickity-clacking on some cherry mx blue keys. But I’m really not down to drop a couple of hundred bucks or more for the current mainstream offering...